Saturday, October 4, 2014

Three step process for answering questions

Yesterday I wrote about the STAR formula for answering questions about your background; you explain the situation, the task required, the action you took and the result. Super helpful in giving a little structure and bringing your interviewer with you on your journey.

But what about the behavioral interview questions? Or the business challenges the company you are interviewing with is facing - the ones you are asked your opinion on in the interview? You could certainly use the STAR formula adapting it slightly because you are making a recommendation, not recounting a past scenario. An alternative is the A,B,C approach. I swear I'm not trolling the web for question answering solutions that employ acronyms. This just showed up in my feed today.

Whenever I hear advice, I evaluate whether I think it's good, but also whether the particular style proposed really works for me. So maybe another question-answering framework is helpful to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment